For you, with you [original in Greek]

 "For you, with you"

“I opened my eyes. The sun blinded me. I closed them again. I listened to the silence. Only the wave could be heard meeting the shore, like a salty lullaby.

I closed my fists and they willed with warm sand. I sat up and took a look around, observing the bodies scattered along the coastline, lifeless, distorting the purity and freshness of the scenery.

Despite my body’s protests I managed to get up and start walking, surrounded by death. Almost immediately, the memories hit me like the tsunami hit Knossos. I still remember that night. And how could I ever forget?

We were on the tiny lifeboat from the hour when the sun was still scorching everything, and one could hardly sit on the surface of the boat. I couldn’t comprehend how long our journey lasted. Was it hours? Days? Weeks? Not that it really matters anyway…

The last thing I remember is the color black. The sea, the sky, the clouds drowning the starlight; all black, and then there we were. Sailing surrendered to the blackness of the night and the storm which so suddenly attacked us. Screams, panic, and desperation were prevailing while our little boat was fighting the stormy sea right outside death’s door. Screams nobody heard, panic nobody noticed, desperation nobody understood. How could I ever describe them? I truly know not.

I kept walking amongst the bodies of acquaintances, friends, family, or even complete strangers with whom I’d shared the horribly agonizing pain of «goodbye». I was looking for you. I still am. I’m looking for you, everywhere.

In your letters, your books, your journals, your photos which are planted around my new home like hidden treasures. I’ve looked for everyone, but you’re the only one my heart keeps searching for. I don’t miss you, because I’m looking for you. And while I am, I’m thinking of you. And while I’m thinking of you, I’m living.

My brother, my lovely brother. My world who’s left the world. I live for you. For you didn’t make it. I live, I learn, I help, I love. For you, with you.”

And with those words, she left the one and only white rose on the dark marble. She then rose, and walked away from the tombstone. Silently, ethereally, almost like a ghost.

After six whole years, she finally managed to visit him. 

Σχόλια

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις